Tuesday 24 May 2011

more influencial artists

During the 2 year period of the ND Graphic Design course I have looked at many artists who have produced so much amazing work and some really cool designs. Here is a little list of my favorite artists and designers and my views on them.


Firstly the Illustrator Gerald Scarfe, throughout the whole of my narrative project he was my idol, his work is absolutely amazing and his style is very original that many others have utilized his style in their work.

The works to the left are my favorite pieces from him the top one because the colors used are so dark and so eery also because of the amount of expression shown in the piece, it's very strong and gives of the sense of pain and suffering.

The Teacher was another of my favourites as his characteristics make him very scary, the structure of his body, the long fingers, wide face and lifeless eyes make the teacher very intimidating.

During the narrative i followed the same sort of style emphasizing the features that I wanted to stand out, in doing so I created a very intimidating looking alien.


 In terms of type I really like the work of Stefan Sagmeister and David Carson, during the course of the FMP I found that a mixture of the two were really effective, combining Carson style of layout and typefaces along with Sagmeisters was really nice as they meet in the middle, Carson has some really great type but makes the viewer work an awful lot to find out the message whereas as Sagmeister are are handwritten but he makes the type readable yet busy.

I really like all the different point sizes in this piece, I wish I had seen this piece during the type project as I think the style is wicked, I did however create something very similar to this piece but it was more vintage and had a lot of different typefaces.






While I was trying to come up with poster ideas I was heavily inspired by Whitechapel, Suicide Silence and Behemoth, these are 3 Death Metal bands whose promo posters look really cool and posses a very dark mood. Here is a piece of work from each of them.

I really like this piece, the different angles of the model that the designer has used and Photoshopped to make look machine-like looks wicked. The use of texture is immense I love all the metal and rust textures, it gives the design a darker feel opposed to if it was made to look shiny and new.


I really like the handmade typeface, its very unique to this band and works so well.  The tea-stained background looks really nice too , it makes the image look old. Finally I really like the liquify effect used on the model and on the black strokes coming from the mouth.






This is a real favorite the Photoshop usage is out of this world, I love the script background it makes it look ancient, also the symbology looks really neat, this also adds to that ancient feel, it also makes it seem as though t has meaning as symbols always have meaning and when you see ancient looking writing you feel as though they must have a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment